Good afternoon St. Joseph’s Families,
Tomorrow is the end of the first quarter. We have had a successful start to our school year. We are so blessed to have our students in school and learning and growing in spirit, mind, and body. We all work together as a team to lift up and support our students each day in our Catholic school environment.
Fr. Mariusz and I met and have decided to extend the mask requirement through Wednesday, December 22nd – end of 2nd quarter. While our hospitals are in a critical crisis of care, it is important to take this necessary precaution. In addition, our COVID positivity numbers have remained low but possible exposures have increased over the last few weeks. As promised, we will continue to monitor the health of our St. Joseph’s community and adjust accordingly.
You should have received an email from your child’s teacher to schedule parent/teacher conferences the evening of Wednesday, October 20 and during the day on Thursday, October 21st.
Important Dates to Add to your calendar:
- Friday, October 15th – end of first quarter – noon dismissal (No After Care)
- No school – Thursday, October 21st and 22nd – Parent/Teacher conferences
- Wednesday, October 20 in the evening and Thursday, October 21st are parent teacher conferences
- Wednesday, October 20th – School Advisory Board Meeting at 5:00 pm in the Riffle Center
- Monday, October 25th – Friday, October 29th – Red Ribbon Week
- Monday, November 1st – All Saint’s Day – School Mass
St. Joseph’s Catholic School is once again happy to be partnering with St. John’s Parish in the Box of Joy project. Box of Joy is a ministry of Cross Catholic Outreach and supplies Christmas presents to children in need around the world. You can pick up the Box of Joy from the school office – the deadline for returning filled boxes is the first week of November. You may return boxes to the school or parish office. Help us make a child’s Christmas!
On Tuesday, October 19th, our 1st, 3rd, 5th, and 7th grade students will attend Mass in the Cathedral – all other classes will watch the Mass live streamed into the classroom. Mrs. Weaver’s 5th grade class is hosting Mass. Mass dress is required for all students and staff. Because we have made the adjustment, only half of the students are at Mass and are able to socially distance, Mass attendance is required. Parents are invited to join us at Mass.
St. John’s Cathedral Parish
St. Joseph’s Catholic School is the parish school of St. John’s Cathedral. St. John’s financially supports St. Joseph’s each year. The parish’s financial contribution subsidizes the education of every Catholic child in our school. They are committed to helping us in Catholic formation for our teachers and students. We are blessed to have such a supportive partnership with St. John’s. Please partner with St. Joseph’s and St. John’s in the faith formation of your child by praying together as a family, participating in the sacraments, and attending Mass on Sundays.
Just a reminder, please follow our school illness policy below if your child is experiencing any illness. We will continue to monitor and adjust as needed for the health and safety of our school community. Our goal is to continue to provide in person learning. Thank you all for your support and patience as we navigate the 2021-2022 school year!
For current information on COVID cases and those in quarantine, please click on this document –Current COVID tracking information for St. Joseph’s.
Please follow these guidelines to prevent the spread of illness in our school:
- If your family has been exposed to someone with COVID-19, please keep all children home. If anyone in your family is being tested for COVID-19 keep all children home.
- If any immediate family member is experiencing any illness symptoms- keep all children home – siblings must stay home as well per our safety protocols
- Students may return to school with a note from their physician if there is a negative Covid test and an alternate diagnosis such as asthma, seasonal allergies, migraine
- Please consider the health and safety of our broader community – continue to practice our 3 W’s:
- Wear a Mask –
- Wash your hands
- Watch your distance- socially distance when appropriate
St. Joseph’s is going through our self-study for our school accreditation during the 2021-2022 school year. We are using the framework from the National Standards and Benchmarks for Effective Catholic Elementary and Secondary Schools – the NSBECS. There are four Standards that are included in our self-study:
- Mission and Catholic Identity
- Governance and Leadership
- Academic Excellence
- Operational Vitality
This is such a great opportunity for us to evaluate our school from the lens of a National Catholic school framework. We also will focus on the Defining Characteristics of a Catholic School. Our mission and Catholic Identity will be a primary focus – we will be sending out surveys at the end October to get stakeholder input from parents, staff and students.
We are Hiring
We would like to add more people to our substitute list. Currently, we have eight people who are available to help out. We have run into several situations already this year where we have not had someone to substitute. In many cases, those schools who have had to temporarily close this year have been due to teacher absence. If you think this is a position you might be interested in – please see the application on our school website.
As we continue the year of St. Joseph, we offer homage and thanksgiving for all we have!
We are so blessed to have you as part of our St. Joseph’s Catholic community.