It was an amazing summer, and I am sad to see it go. However, I am excited about the upcoming school year and the new adventures that await!
Back to School:
There are several activities planned to help you transition back into school mode. I want to thank Tisha McGarry for organizing several playdates for new and old students.
- Sunday, August 16, please join us for 5 p.m. Mass at St. John’s. We will have a popsicle social afterward in the playground area (6-7:30 p.m.).
- On Monday, August 17, you and your child may drop off school supplies and say “hello” to the teacher between 2 to 3 p.m. It is not required that you attend, and there will not be formal presentations of rules and expectations during this time. It is simply an opportunity to drop off supplies, find the classroom, and see the teacher.
- Tuesday, August 18, is the first day of school, and there is a noon dismissal.
- Back-to-School Night is Wednesday, September 2, from 6-8 p.m., and it is for parents only. Teachers will go over procedures, expectations, and other information for parents.
- The Fall Carnival/Dinner will be held on Sunday, September 27. Stay tuned for more information and volunteer opportunities.
I just attended a conference on collaboration, and I am full of passion and ideas for our Wednesday morning time. The goal of our Wednesday morning collaboration time is to improve the learning of all St. Joseph’s students. Our first area of focus is writing, which was identified during our accreditation self-study last school year. We will have late start on Wednesdays (first bell at 8:40, class starts at 8:45 a.m.) beginning on Wednesday, August 19. Supervision will begin at 7:30 a.m., as it does all other mornings; however, students do not have to arrive at school until 8:40 a.m. We have a parent who has volunteered to lead yoga one Wednesday morning a month, and I am looking for other parents willing to lead knitting groups, book clubs, basketball, prayer, Bible study, etc.
The purpose of having a uniform is to have all students look the same so that no one stands out. Dennis Uniform is our new uniform supplier: https://www.dennisuniform.com/onlstore/d-store-home.asp?sc=IDSJSB&dis=19589912
Dennis will be holding an event in St. Joseph’s gym on Wed., Aug. 12 from 2-7 p.m. and Thursday, Aug. 13 from 8-11:30 a.m. Your child will be able to try on and purchase uniforms that this event.
When you purchase shoes for school, please remember that they should be primarily black, white, gray, navy blue, or red. Socks should be solid colored (same colors as the shoes)–no Nike Elite or other designs. Socks and shoes should not detract from the uniform, and they should not be a status symbol. Thank you for your cooperation.
New Teacher Spotlight:
Mr. David Maxwell will be teaching English, reading, and Effective Study Skills for middle school. Senora Mercedes Olivares will be teaching Spanish K-8, and 6th and 7th grade religion. Please welcome them to our school faculty.
Please contact us, if you have questions or concerns. Enjoy your last few days of summer!