The St. Joseph’s Parents Association (SJPA) is responsible for fundraising and coordinating a strong and active volunteer program. Volunteer programs range from organizing and implementing various annual fundraisers to volunteering for school day activities such as room parents, lunch helpers, field trip drivers etc. All volunteers who work directly with students are required to attend a “Safe Environment Workshop” and have a criminal background check.
We are currently gathering nominations for the SJPA and have three position openings for the 2017-18 academic year. Please click below for more information about the available positions:
School Day Activities
Some of the available opportunities:
- Athletics: coaches, team parents
- Boy Scout/Girl Scout Leaders
- Class Community Service Coordinator: one class project per year
- Field Trip Drivers: as needed
- Hospitality Committee: several events throughout the year
- Library/Computer Lab: usually one day per week with your child’s class
- Lunch Room: usually one day every other week from 11:10-12:30
- Playground supervision: usually one day every other week. Choose before school (7:30-8:05), morning recess (9:15 – 10:10) or noon recess (11:30-12:35)
- Room parents
- Science Olympiad coach
Volunteer Hours Website
Frequently Asked Questions
All parents of St. Joseph’s School students are automatically members of the SJPA. The SJPA Board is comprised of eight elected and appointed officers. All parents are encouraged and welcome to attend the monthly SJPAboard meetings which are generally held on the third Tuesday of the month at 2 pm in the Parish Hall. Elections for the next school year are held in the spring.
Room Parent Coordinator – Dawn Dewhirst
Mentor Program – Tisha McGarry
Hospitality Committee – Jacqueline Fiorini-Loper
Fall Dinner & Carnival – Cynthia Wallace
Festival of Trees – Dawn Dewhirst
Crab Feed – Kim Malvick & Molly Mosher
Father-Daughter Dance –
Fun Run – Janelle Wise
Used Uniform Sales –
Volunteerism at St. Joseph’s School provides an opportunity to:
- Involve parents actively in the school and the education of their children.
- Allow teachers to spend more time directly with the children.
- Minimize school tuition.
The SJPA requires each family to volunteer a minimum of 25 hours or more during the course of the school year; 5 of these hours must be dedicated to fundraising. There are many volunteer activities available, so parents may choose activities that interest them and utilize their skills. For parents who work outside the home, we have activities that can be done at home or on the weekends. We encourage both moms and dads to participate in our programs. If a parent has questions or concerns about the volunteer commitment, please contact any SJPA board member.