Dear St. Joseph’s Families,
I hope you and your family had a blessed Thanksgiving! We are now in the liturgical season of Advent. I will be visiting classes over the next few weeks joining with our students in this especially important observation. This is a special time that we prepare the way of the Lord and eagerly await the Light of Christ to enter our lives.
Reminder, students do not have school tomorrow- Friday, December 3rd. It is a teacher workday. On Friday morning, we will go to Mass together, have a brief faculty meeting and then work on our data library for our school accreditation. In the afternoon, teachers will be collaborating, grading papers, updating grades, preparing lessons, etc. At 2:00, we will have our teacher and staff Christmas party with a late lunch sponsored by our St. Joseph’s School Advisory Board.
Important Dates to Add to your Calendar:
- Friday, December 3rd – Teacher workday – no school for students
- Wednesday, December 8th – School Mass – Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary
- Tuesday, December 14th – SJPA meeting at 3:15
- Tuesday, December 21st – end of 2nd quarter. Please note, this is an adjustment – No school on Wednesday, December 22nd.
- Christmas Break – Wednesday, December 22nd – Friday, January 7th
- Students return to school on Monday, January 10th
- Please have your child bring their own water bottle to school and have their name on it. It is important for them to stay hydrated throughout the day
- Please have your child bring a coat and write their name in it.
Acts of Charity
St. Joseph’s is partnering with St. John’s to help support children and adults in our greater community. We do this through the Giving Tree. There are Christmas trees in the foyer of the school and cathedral with gift tags. If you are able, please help us support those in need by taking a tag and buying a Christmas gift.
Change of Mass Day next Week. Wednesday, December 8th is the Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary. This is a holy day of obligation. On Wednesday, December 8th, our 1st, 3rd, 5th and 7th grade students will attend Mass in the Cathedral – all other classes will watch the Mass live streamed into the classroom if there are no glitches. Mrs. Winchester’s 5th grade class is hosting Mass. Mass dress is required for all students and staff. Because we have made the adjustment, only half of the students are at Mass and are able to socially distance, Mass attendance is required. Parents are invited to join us at Mass.
Reconciliation (confession) is an important sacrament – especially during Advent and Lent. We have Reconciliation scheduled for our 3rd-8th grade students on Tuesday, December 7th and Friday, December 10th. Please reach out to your child’s teacher if you have any questions.
St. John’s Cathedral Parish
St. Joseph’s Catholic School is St. John’s Cathedral Parish school. We are in partnership with St. John’s and the parish financially supports St. Joseph’s each year. We are the parish’s biggest ministry. Please partner with St. Joseph’s and St. John’s in the faith formation of your child by praying together as a family, participating in the sacraments, and attending Mass on Sundays – following the five precepts of our beautiful Catholic faith.
For current information on COVID cases and those in quarantine, please click on this document –Current COVID tracking information for St. Joseph’s.
Please follow these guidelines to prevent the spread of illness in our school:
- If your family has been exposed to someone with COVID-19, please keep all children home. If anyone in your family is being tested for COVID-19 keep all children home.
- If any immediate family member is experiencing any illness symptoms- keep all children home – siblings must stay home as well per our safety protocols
- Students may return to school with a note from their physician if there is a negative Covid test and an alternate diagnosis such as asthma, seasonal allergies, migraine
- Please consider the health and safety of our broader community – continue to practice our 3 W’s:
- Wear a Mask –
- Wash your hands
- Watch your distance- socially distance when appropriate
Parents, please notify the front office if your child will be absent for any reason. We need this information to continue to track daily absence rates. Mrs. Granvall’s email is email@example.com
Advent is a season of hope and waiting – it is a time of darkness and light.
Prayer for Advent:
Thank you for partnering with us in your child’s education. We are blessed to be able to continue to serve our St. Joseph’s Catholic School families!