Mrs. Schneider’s 4th grade class will share some of their reflections from Fr. Jerry’s homily this week.
Dylan G.: Father Jerry talked to us in the homily to be kinder to our siblings. He also talked to us about how Martha was doing stuff while Mary was just sitting there and listening to what God had to say. He also talked to us about the good Samaritan.
***Thank you and kudos to 8th grader, Peter F., who Father Jerry called upon to recall the story of the good Samaritan.
Phoebe G.: Father Jerry talked about not fighting with your siblings in the story and what matters most. Mary and Martha were fighting because Martha was cleaning and Mary was listening to the Lord.
Audrey P.: Father Jerry talked about how Martha was probably there when Jesus talked about the good Samaritan. So, she invited Jesus over for dinner, but was angry when Mary didn’t help her make dinner. Jesus told her Mary chose the better part. Father Jerry asked us if we sometimes fought with our siblings.
Luke P.: I think his homily was about that you should be kind to others. Another thing is you shouldn’t blame things on our brothers and sisters so you don’t have to do everything. This bible lesson is about that we should be kind and respectful to others.
Carter L.: Father Jerry talked to us about the good Samaritan. He also asked who has asked their parents to make their siblings help them do work. His message was that the most important thing of all is listening to Jesus and God’s words.
Thank you to everyone who celebrated Mass with us this week. May everyone always feel welcome to join us for Mass.
Parent Teacher Conferences: (Wednesday evening November 1 and Thursday November 2)
- Kindergarten-5th grade: Friday, October 13, K-5 teachers will email out a sign up for Parent Teacher Conferences. These conferences are 15 minutes.
- Middle School (grades 6-8): Middle School will also email out a sign up for Parent Teacher Conferences. The middle school conferences are 30 minute allotments for parents to meet with the student’s 6-8 middle school teachers. The individual conferences will be about 3 minutes.
- Special Teachers: These teachers will be in the gymnasium. They will be available in the for parents to drop in without signing up for a time to meet with them.
- Mr. Aspiri: Music k-5, choir, and middle school music and drama
- Mrs. Elwer: PE for k-4
- Mrs. Olivares: Spanish k-5 and middle school
- Mrs. Miller: Art k-5 and middle school
*If you have concerns or discover you need more than the allotted time to talk with the teacher, please make arrangements with the teacher to meet with them again soon.
- Do you have children over the age of 7 who are not baptized and are looking to get baptized and also receive First Eucharist, and/or those children who have been baptized Catholic or in another Christian faith who want to make First Communion?
- There will be an information night on October 26, at 6:30pm in the Riffle Center so that Teresa Wittry (email@example.com) can meet with the parents and students to get the process started. If you have any questions, please reach out to Teresa Wittry from St. John’s Parish.
Basic information is as follows:
- WHAT: RCIC information night. (Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults adapted for Children)
- WHEN: Thursday, October 26 @ 6:30pm
- WHERE: Riffle Center for Faith Formation (775 N. 8th St.)
- FOR: Parents of children who are age 7+ in need of Baptism and First Communion, and children 7+ who are baptized and did not make First Communion in Second grade. Or any children 7+ interested in becoming Catholic.
- Joe and Kari Forney’s son, Bradford Cohen Forney, will be baptised during our school Mass on 10/24. The Forneys have two students at St. Joseph’s Catholic School: Isolabella (Biz) in 1st grade and Jack in 3rd grade. This is great time for our community to celebrate the sacrament of baptism.
Derrick O’Neill will be ordained a Deacon 10/28 and the Mass will start at 11 am at St. John’s Cathedral. We invite all of our St. Joseph’s Catholic School Community to come celebrate and support soon to be Deacon O’Neill. There will 7 Deacons from throughout the state ordained.
- Consent forms for students to get flu shots at school are due Friday, October 20
- The consent form link is in the newsletter and hard copies are available at the front office.
- Shots will be given to students on Monday, October 23 from 9 am-12 pm
The hot lunch program is up and going again. Thank you everyone for your patience, volunteer support, and prayers. To see breakfast and lunch calendars click here.
Parents, many of you already do this, but please feel free to come join your student and their peers for lunch. You can now pay for lunch at the line through your student’s lunch account. All we ask, if you can, is to email Karen Page (firstname.lastname@example.org) for food preparation. Thank you, and please feel invited.
Apps for Phones and Devices:
- PayForIt: this is a free app for your phone that you login the same as you do online. This is an app for lunch accounts.
- ParentPlus: this is a free app for your phone and it functions just like PlusPortals. It will ask you for the school, use StJoes and it will connect with St. Joseph’s Catholic School.
We tested our text notification system Tuesday warning about parking for after school pick-up. If you did not receive a text and you want to get your cell number included, please email Mrs. Granvall (email@example.com) with your name and the cell number you would like included. We did send an email as well, and if you did not receive the email, please email Mrs. Granvall (firstname.lastname@example.org) with your name and the email you would like included.
What do I do if my student is going to miss school or be late for school?
- Please email Mrs. Granvall (email@example.com) with the date(s) of the absence(s) and name of the student. If tardy, please also indicate cold or hot lunch. Please, feel free to include the teacher(s) on the email too.
Picture Day Retakes: (Pictures were sent home this week)
Thursday, October 19 from 8:30-9:30
If you would like your student to get their picture retaken:
- Please email Mrs. Granvall to get your student on the list firstname.lastname@example.org
- Send your student to school with the picture packet
If you would like to purchase pictures and you did not, you can order again on this day.
- If your student was absent, they can get their picture taken and order pictures
Bravely act like a saint today!