The St. Joseph’s Catholic School Board is advisory to the Cathedral Rector and the Principal. Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to, long-range planning, formulating policy, approving the budget, and evaluating the Principal. The School Board is not an administrative body – school administration is the job of the Principal.
Role of School Board Members:
- Understand and embrace the mission of the school.
- Undertake long-range strategic planning for the school.
- Evaluate progress annually and update the plan regularly and as needed.
- Provides input to the Rector on Personnel issues.
- Assist the principal in formulating strategies to realize enrollment goals.
- Develop a three- to five-year financial plan for the school.
- Be accountable for fiscal viability of the school.
- Prepare and present capital budgets for approval.
- Work with the parish to manage implementation of capital projects.
- Develop and implement school marketing/public relations program and assist with recruitment and retention plans.
- Participate in the principal selection process.
The St. Joseph’s School Board is comprised of seven individuals: three elected parent members from the St. Joseph’s Parents Association and four parish-appointed members of St. John’s Cathedral. School board members serve three-year terms.
The school board meets once a month, generally the third Wednesday of each month at 5:00 pm in the library. These meetings are open to all. Members of the school board also serve on subcommittees that meet separately.
St. Joseph’s 2019-20 School Board includes: Joe Forney (Chairperson), Elizabeth Barry, Paula Coulter, Gina Gridley, Kim Malvick, Gary Martinez, and Bob Showers. Non-voting members include the rector of St. John’s, Fr. Mariusz Majewski; the principal, Tammy Emerich; and the business manager, Anita Miller.
Parties interested in addressing the board must complete the proposal form and email it to principal or board chairperson prior to the end of business on the first day of the month in order to be considered for the next board meeting.
The principal will notify the individual making the request by the 5th of the month as to the status of the request.
School Board Meetings
The St. Joseph’s School Board generally meets the third Wednesday of the month at 5:00 pm in the school library. However, meeting dates are subject to change. Please contact the front office to confirm an upcoming meeting.